Thursday, April 2, 2009

Needs and QB's

Hello and welcome to the new blog Mark on the Rams. This is going to be my personal take on the St. Louis Rams and what they are up to. With these first couple of posts I want to focus on the draft that is coming up in 23 days. With the recent moves in free agency the top 5 need positions on the Rams go as followed: 1. Offensive Tackle 2. Linebacker 3. Wide Receiver 4. Cornerback 5. Quarterback For the next few days I will focus on each position individually and talk about what I feel the Rams need in the position.

Today's position is Quarterback.


The starting QB for the Rams as everyone knows is Marc "The Bulge" Bulger. Not since his 2006 probowl season has the Bulge had the production that everyone has expected of him. While it is true he has been playing behind one of the poorest offensive lines in the NFL, it is still hard not to be disappointed with him when he throws just as many or more interceptions than touchdowns each season. I think that he still may have something left in the tank and that is why I feel that we should give him one more season under the helm and see what he can do. Because of his high salary it is hard to just get rid of him, but if after this season he continues to underperform it would be for the best to find a way to but ties with him and start over with someone new.

Behind the Bulge on the roster is soon to be signed Gus Frerotte. Gus had sat behind the Bulge for two years before starting last season for the Vikings. All signs seem to point to go on him signing with the Rams to be their number 2 QB. I like this more than I liked Trent Green because Frerotte has shown that he still has something left to play with.

Lastly on our list of QB's is newly signed Jeff Otis. Otis is a predominantly unknown QB that the Rams just recently signed. At 6-2 210 lbs, this 26 year old QB has yet to prove himself in the NFL. While being signed with the Cardinals, Cheifs, and Raiders (twice), he hasn't played a single game in the league. However, he did win a championship with his European team in 2006. This is something that I would like to see the Rams build on this season. He is a young QB who if groomed right, might just be the replacement for the Bulge. I would like to see him get most of the snaps in the second half of every game during the pre season and see what exactly he brings to the table. The idea of a young QB on our roster excites me but like I said we need to see what he has to offer.

Having three QB's on the roster makes it so I don't think the Rams will take a QB before the 4th round in this years draft. There is some hope in this position though and it is something I hope to see Spags work on this year.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the blue Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete